Everyone new to CrossFit is required to attend our Foundation Course before joining our regular workouts.
We never throw a new athlete in to the regular workout of the day (WOD) without training.
CrossFit uses diverse movements including Olympic Weightlifting, Gymnastics and Metabolic Conditioning, and we do these things in constantly evolving and revolving variety.
This means you have a lot to learn. I can say this with confidence because we have never met anyone that was familiar with all of these domains who weren't already CrossFitters!
There are many purposes of our Foundation course. They include:
- Teaching you 9 basic movements; 3 squats, 3 presses, and 3 deadlifts.
- Familiarizing you with some of our unique equipment.
- Instructing you on how the workouts are organized.
- Informing you on the rules of the gym.
- Teaching you about our philosophy and training methodology.
As with any CrossFit workout we will scale the workouts as necessary for you to complete the workout.
Don't worry if you are "out of shape" you can still do it! We make sure you can.
Foundations Course Curriculum:
We conduct our Foundation course over the course of a Saturday afternoon. This is the most efficient way to get you up to speed and into our workouts.
We are constantly evolving our curriculum but you will as a minimum learn the following:
- Barbell Safety and Efficiency
- Preventing injury through "Situational Awareness" and knowledge
- General Risks of CrossFit
- What is barbell efficiency and why does it matter?
- Understanding the Coach Athlete relationship
- Being "Tight" and Ready to do your best
- The "Handshake" exercise
- Valsalva Maneuver
- Getting Power from Hips to Hands
- Understanding CrossFit Intensity
- Body weight Squat
- Front Squat
- Overhead Squat
- Shoulder Press
- Push Press
- Push Jerk
- Sumo Deadlift High Pull
- Medicine Ball Clean
- Metabolic Conditioning
- Rowing on the C2 Erg
- Gravity-based Running
- Jumping Rope
- Using CFTally Equipment
- Glute Ham Developer (GHD)
- Reverse Hyper
- CFTally Rules and Protocols
- The Burpee Rules
- Scheduling Yourself
- What you are buying
- Buying "The Good Stuff" and the "CFTally Charge Card"
What do I need to do to attend a Foundation Course?
- Register by filling out this form.
- Answer the phone (or call us back) when we call to confirm your seat.
- Come 5 - 10 minutes early to fill out the paper work.
- Bring a check or cash for the correct amount.
When is the Foundation Course?
Almost every Saturday from 12:30 to 4:30, and sometimes on Sunday. Check here to see our current schedule.
How do I "get out of" the Foundation Course?
Unless you have actively CrossFit at another CrossFit Affiliate within the last year you probably don't.
Your particular fitness level isn't the issue, rather it's your current familiarity with the 9 basic moves that we use in CrossFit and how our gym operates.